Representative Kiel Speaks Up for Small Businesses Impacted by Walz Shutdowns
By Mark Askelson email@example.com (12/11/20)
East Grand Forks, MN — On Monday, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz is expected to announce whether or not he will extend his ban on social gatherings, indoor dining, gyms, movie theaters, bowling, and other entertainment industries. His executive order began on November 20th and is set to expire this Friday, December 18th. Many businesses across the state are becoming frustrated with the governor and are grimly anticipating at least a few more weeks of being unable to open their doors, and some, like the Boardwalk Bar and Grill in East Grand Forks, are now choosing to defy orders and reopen anyways. Representative Deb Keil and Senator Mark Johnson spoke at press conference in East Grand Forks on Friday afternoon to address those businesses. Representative Keil says its very unfortunate that it’s come to the point where business owners have to break the law to keep their business from closing for good.
While deaths remain high, COVID hospitalizations and new cases continue to trend downward across Minnesota and North Dakota, which has much looser restrictions. Representative Keil says Minnesota businesses are more than capable of operating safely and citizens should be able to determine for themselves whether or not it is safe to go out.
Minnesota businesses impacted by the Governor’s most recent executive order so far have been trying to get by without any help from the state legislature. Keil says they are close to coming up with a deal and encourages those businesses to hang on as help could be coming soon.
An announcement from the Governor Walz Monday afternoon. We plan to carry that press conference live on 106.5 KRJB.
Listen to the full interview with Representative Deb Kiel below.